- Biurdana High School first organised the Public Reading Day in the year 2000. Ever since it has been held annually.
- The aim of the Public Reading Day is to encourage the passion for reading. It is done publicly and aloud, instead of privately and quietly, as usual.
- Basque book excerpts are read aloud as a tribute to Basque Literature.
- Every year a new writer is chosen and passages from different books are selected.
- The Public Reading Day is somehow linked to the World Book Day. However, it is not exactly held on April 23rd, but on a Friday morning around that date.